Areas of focus
Communication is a critical skill for all children and teenagers. It’s a key requirement for playing, learning and establishing friendships. It's a skill that your child will use throughout their life.
Early identification and intervention for communication difficulties will make a significant impact on your child's development. Our goal is to assist your child to communicate as effectively as possible across all environments.
Children’s lives are comprised of playing, learning and making friends. To confidently be able to engage in these activities a child requires appropriate fine motor, gross motor, visual perceptual skills, sensory and processing skills.
This is what we focus on with occupational therapy. Our goal is to enable your child to participate in all activities as confidently as possible.
Current research suggests that the earlier a child is accurately diagnosed with ASD and begins affective therapy and interventions, the better the developmental outcomes for the child. Diagnosis of ASD requires a comprehensive assessment progress. It includes gathering information from a range of sources, typically an interview with a parent, observing the child in their home and/or at school.
At our practice we offer a comprehensive assessment for ASD which involves:
- the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule – Second Edition (ADOS-2), which has been rated as the most reliable diagnostic tool recognised by international ASD experts
- the Autism Diagnostic Interview – Revised (ADI-R) which is a structured parent interview that assists in the reliable diagnosis of ASD
- parent rating & observation scales
- detailed speech pathology assessment
- detailed occupational therapy assessment
These are chosen according to your child’s age and developmental levels.